LIFE, HEALTH AND FOODS
The Lord will guide you continually, watering your life when you are dry and keeping you healthy, too. You will be like a well watered garden like an ever-flowing spring. Isaiah 58:11 (NLT)
“Jesus was not satisfied to attract attention to Himself merely as a wonder-worker or as a healer of physical disease. He was seeking to draw men to Him as their Saviour” MH pg. 6
November 3rd, 2014
Hi everyone, today I have for you an amazingly healthy, affordable and easy to make chickpeas soup…… I know many of you are transitioning from eating meat to a plant based diet, so this will really keep your family taste bud excited!!! Read the article on the health benefits of chickpea at the end of the recipe.
Blessings in the name of Jesus Christ,
Jamaican Coconut & Chick Pea Soup
3 cups pure water
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
1 large carrot diced
2 small turnips, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cored, diced
2 stalk of scallion
2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
3 medium tomatoes, diced
4 cups of cooked chick peas
2 cups coconut milk
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
A pinch cumin and coriander powder
2 cups of pumpkin, chopped
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Add just before serving (optional):
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or mint
1 cup packed baby greens
Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook until tender or if you're in a more hands-on mood, do it the old fashioned way. Throw everything in a pot and cook, covered, over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about thirty minutes.
Stir in the cilantro or mint and baby greens. Heat through briefly until the greens soften, and serve.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHICK PEAS
Garbanzos have a delicious nutlike taste and a texture that is buttery, yet somewhat starchy and pasty. A very versatile legume, they are a noted ingredient in many Middle Eastern and Indian dishes such as hummus, falafels and curries. While many people think of chickpeas as being in beige in color, other varieties feature colors such as black, green, red and brown.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
• Fiber Advantage and Weight Loss: Like other beans, Chickpeas, are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that snares bile (which contains cholesterol) and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders.
• Protein for Vegetarians: Chickpeas are a good source of protein. Combined with a whole grain such as whole-wheat protein, they provide the amount of protein comparable to that of meat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fats.
• Manganese for Energy Production: Garbanzos are an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses. Just one cup of garbanzo beans supplies 84.5% of the daily value for this mineral.
• Iron Boost: Garbanzos can boost your energy because of their high iron content. This is particularly important for menstruating women, pregnant or lactating women and growing children. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism.
• Stabilizing Blood Sugar and Low Glycemic Index (GI): Soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, beans like garbanzos can help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. They have low GI value of 28 – 32 means the carbohydrate in them is broken down and digested slowly. This is helpful for weight loss as it controls appetite.
• Heart Healthy: Regular intake of Chickpeas can lower LDL (bad) and total cholesterol. Garbanzos contain the significant amounts of folate and magnesium. Folate lowers the levels of the amino acid, homocysteine and strengthens the blood vessels. Studies have found chickpeas lower the risk of heart attack
• For Women: Garbanzo contain phytochemicals called saponins, which can act as antioxidants. It could lower the risk of breast cancer, protect against osteoporosis and minimizes hot flushes in post-menopausal women.
• Weight Loss: Due to high fiber content and low GI, chickpeas are excellent for weight loss diets. Salad with chickpeas are tasty and can keep you full longer, controlling the appetite.
The information given here is for educational purposes only. It is meant to be used as a guide towards health and does not replace the evaluation by and advice of a qualified licensed health care professional. For detailed interpretation of your health and specific conditions, consult with your physician.